Intro to Technology Resources for Grad Students
See our Getting Started Guide.
LSA IT help is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 734.615.0100.
Consultation and Referral Services
- Liaison Pilot — Referral service in support of your work.
- Learning Technology and Consulting — Help with applying technology to your teaching.
- Library Subject Specialist — Consulting in resources for your subject area available in the library.
- Consulting for Statistical, Computing and Analytics Research (CSCAR) — How to approach your analysis.
Store it safely: Protect whatever type of data you collect
- A limited amount of research storage space is available.
- U-M Box and U-M Google both have unlimited storage until you leave the university.
- Consider getting a backup program system for your personal machine. We use CrashPlan for U-M machines. However, it is not available any longer for personal use but they will let you purchase the small business option. Here are the Top 10 reviews for backup options for Windows and Mac.
Literature Search Support Tools
- Browzine (for tablets)
- Download the Proxy Server Bookmarklet
- Get to full text in fewer clicks using Google Scholar @ U-M.
- Manage citations (Zotero, Mendeley, RefWorks, EndNote)
- Sensitive Data Guide from Safe Computing (Before you start - know your classification)
- Developing data
- Human Subjects Research
- Archive Visit Tips
- Quantitative Research Resources
- Qualitative Research Resources
- Survey Research
- Digital Humanities and Literature Production
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Research Programming and Lab Assistance for a Fee
- Lab: Research LabNotebooks Specimen Management
- Field Research Support
Writing and Defending
Personal Machine Software
Computing from off site
- Using Virutal Sites and access your research storage: Connecting to LSA File Spaces (Windows) or Connecting to LSA File Spaces (Mac).
- Using the Virtual Private Network (VPN), needed for library and file storage access from off campus.
Computing on campus
- LSA Language Resource Center (on campus)
- Campus Computing Sites labs (on campus) and their software list (on campus)
- Library (on campus):
- Duderstadt digital media commons (on north campus)
- Virtual Sites Software list
- LSA GPU Cuda machine (on campus): email email@example.com for assistance.
- Statistics and Computational Service software lists (remote):
- Flux Software list (remote with VPN and Duo; even has graphical via Arc Connect interface)
Additionally, some departments have private specialized labs and machines for their students’ use.
Graduate Student Technology Resources