Intro to Technology Resources for Grad Students
See our Getting Started Guide.
LSA IT help is available by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 734.615.0100.
- 1 Department liaisons for specialized help
- 2 Regardless of your kind of research, store it safely
- 3 Make accessing and using the literature easier
- 4 Remotely accessing university computing.
- 5 Get software and support for your personally owned machine.
- 6 What systems/software is available for use?
- 7 Knowledge about Data:
- 8 Knowledge about Analysis:
- 9 Knowledge articles for Writing:
- 10 Preparing to leave:
- 11 Environment
- 12 Additional notes
Department liaisons for specialized help
- Advocacy — Consulting on technology in support of your work. See the getting started page to find yours.
- Learning Technology and Consulting — Help with applying technology to your teaching.
- Library Subject Specialist — Consulting in resources for your subject area available in the library.
- Consulting for Statistical, Computing and Analytics Research (CSCAR) — How to approach your analysis.
Regardless of your kind of research, store it safely
A limited amount of research storage space.
Consider getting a backup program system for your personal machine. We use CrashPlan for U-M machines. However, it is not available any longer for personal use but they will let you purchase the small business option. Here are the Top 10 reviews for backup options for Windows and Mac.
Make accessing and using the literature easier
- Browzine (for tablets)
- Download the Proxy Server Bookmarklet
- Get to full text in fewer clicks using Google Scholar @ U-M.
- Manage citations (Zotero, Mendeley, RefWorks, EndNote)
Remotely accessing university computing.
Using the Virtual Private Network (VPN), needed for library and file storage access from off campus.
Get software and support for your personally owned machine.
What systems/software is available for use?
- LSA Language Resource Center (on campus)
- Campus Computing Sites labs (on campus) and their software list (on campus)
- Library (on campus):
- Duderstadt digital media commons (on north campus)
- Virtual Sites Software list
- LSA GPU Cuda machine (on campus): email email@example.com for assistance.
- Statistics and Computational Service software lists (remote):
- Flux Software list (remote with VPN and Duo; even has graphical via Arc Connect interface)
Additionally, some departments have private specialized labs and machines for their students’ use.
Knowledge about Data:
Knowledge about Analysis:
Knowledge articles for Writing:
Preparing to leave:
Graduate Student Technology Resources